The Difference Between Metal and Shingle Roofs
Posted on Friday, September 17th, 2021 at 2:44 pm
Roofing is complex. Various materials are used in installing roofs, and different installation techniques are required for each. Homebuyers, homeowners, contractors, and home builders may not fully understand the difference in roofing materials and when and where each material is best used. The roofing professionals of Kidd Roofing are experts in determining which are the best roofing materials for your home or commercial property or project.
There are a number of roofing materials commonly used throughout the industry. The materials vary in their composition, their sustainability, and cost, to name a few differences. At Kidd Roofing, we are experienced in working with the following materials and roofing systems:
Each of these roofing systems is unique and requires different techniques for installation. The roofing professionals at Kidd Roofing have decades of experience working with these varying materials.
The Difference Between Metal and Shingle Roof Materials
Two of the most common roofing systems are metal roofs and shingle roofs. When many people think of what roofs are constructed of, they may think of these two materials. While they both make quality roofs, there are significant differences between them.
- Metal roofing, on its own, comes in different types: tin, steel, aluminum, copper, zinc, and seam standing metal. Shingles, also known as asphalt shingles, derive their name from the fact that they are made of mat or fiberglass. The base is coated with asphalt and either ceramic or stone granules to prevent deterioration from sun exposure. There are standard three-tab asphalt shingles and laminated or dimensional ones.
- When it comes to aesthetics, both metal and shingle roofing offer various colors and finishes, allowing those looking to update existing roofing or install roofing on a new home to choose one that matches their personal aesthetic or the style of their home. Even metal roofing can be made to look like shingle roofing.
- Expenses are an important consideration for most builders and homeowners/buyers. The cost difference between metal and shingle roofs is considerable, both in per square feet material costs and labor costs. Installing a metal roof can run you $1-$2 per square foot, while an asphalt shingle roof costs an estimated $0.60-$0.90 per square foot. Asphalt shingles are also cheaper in labor costs, at $2-$3 per square foot versus $3-$5 per square foot for metal roofing.
- Where metal roofing lacks in cost-savings compared to asphalt roofing, it gains in potentially being more cost-effective down the line. Metal roofing can last 40-70 years because of the way it is installed with added materials that help prevent deterioration. Asphalt roofing lasts for a much shorter time, just 15-30 years because asphalt shingles are more affected by the environment and climate.
- Additional cost savings are found in the durability of the roof. Again, metal roofing tends to edge out asphalt roofing in the durability arena. Metal roofing is less affected by climate and temperature changes since the metal is moveable and it doesn’t absorb water. Temperature changes affect shingles, and they’re prone to water damage.
- Both metal roofing and asphalt shingles can save you money on energy. Metal roofs are good for reflecting heat, thus keeping your house cooler in warmer months. Asphalt shingles absorb heat, helping to keep your house warm in cooler months. Unlike asphalt shingles, however, metal roofing is recyclable.
Why Kidd Roofing Is the Roofing Company You Need
Kidd Roofing was founded nearly four decades ago to serve the roofing needs of people in the biggest cities in Texas and in Denver, CO. We are experts in installing all types of roofing systems for residential properties and commercial properties.
We provide high-quality, safe roofing installations and have been given awards for our work. Most recently, we were awarded the 2020 President’s Club Award by GAF, the continent’s leading shingles manufacturer.
The roofing professionals of Kidd Roofing provide quality residential and commercial service. Whether you’re looking for a metal or asphalt shingle roofing system, we are experienced in both and can provide you with the installation services you need.
Call us today at (866) 671-7791 to speak to a roofing specialist who can help you determine what roofing materials may be best for your needs and perform the high-quality work needed to install or repair it. You can also reach us using our online contact form.