Pros and Cons of Multiple Layers of Shingles
Posted on Sunday, October 17th, 2021 at 3:10 pm
There are various types of roofing materials and ways to construct roofs. Certain roofing systems may be best for residential or commercial property or for warmer or inclement weather-prone areas. Some roofing systems are more popular than others. A popular type of roofing is asphalt shingle roofing, commonly seen on residential homes.
The roofing experts at Kidd Roofing are skilled in installing asphalt shingle roofs. Our work is high-quality, and we work safely to provide top-notch service for your roofing needs.
What Are Shingles?
Shingles, also known as asphalt shingles, are typically made of asphalt. They’re rectangular-shaped and are laid in a signature overlapped pattern. There are three types of asphalt shingles: the standard three-tab, laminated or dimensional, and luxury or premium shingles.
The standard three-tab shingles are flat in appearance and have three tabs on each shingle strip. Called standard because they were the premier asphalt shingle in the past, three-tab shingles are generally cheaper than the other two types of shingles and are lightweight.
Laminated or dimensional asphalt shingles are the most popular type of asphalt shingles used on homes. As the name implies, the look of laminated asphalt shingles brings the appearance of varying dimensions to the roof. They tend to be heavier than standard three-tab shingles.
Premium asphalt shingles are considerably heavier than both laminated and standard three-tab asphalt shingles. This adds to their increased durability, as opposed to the aforementioned types of asphalt shingles. Because of this, they’re also considerably more expensive. They tend to resemble slate or wood shake roofs, which is attractive to those looking for roofing that’s particularly appealing to the eye.
Overall, shingles are fairly cost-effective to install, energy-efficient during winter months, and can last anywhere from 15-20 years, and new roofs can come with warranties that last up to 50 years. They may require maintenance over time as the material asphalt shingles are made from can be susceptible to water damage and sun exposure.
Pros and Cons of Multi-Layered Shingles
Multi-layered shingles are basically dimensional or laminated shingles. Instead of a single, standard three-tab shingle strip, dimensional shingles are laid one on top of the other in random patterns. There are benefits to using multi-layered shingles for your roof:
- Dimensional asphalt shingles have an appealing look to them. You can customize them to look like slate or wood shake and choose various colors and finishes. The unique pattern in which they’re laid on your roof can also add some character and curb appeal to your home.
- Dimensional asphalt shingles are heavier than standard three-tab asphalt shingles, which makes them more durable than the latter. They’re less susceptible to weather damage than their standard three-tab counterpart.
- Multi-layered asphalt shingles last longer than standard three-tab shingles, with a lifespan of up to 50 years. Standard three-tab shingles may last about 30 years at the outside.
- They’re energy-efficient in warmer months because they reflect heat.
Multi-layered shingles aren’t all upside. There are a few downsides to using them for your roof:
- They’re fairly expensive. While asphalt shingles overall are less expensive than other types of roofing, such as metal roofing, multi-layered/dimensional asphalt shingles are a more expensive option for asphalt shingles.
- They aren’t as energy efficient in cooler months since they don’t absorb heat as well as some other types of roofing materials, such as metal roofing.
- Asphalt shingles aren’t recyclable.
Why We’re the Multi-Layered Shingles Experts
We’ve been in the roofing business for close to 40 years. During this time, we’ve served the areas of Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and Denver, CO, providing high-quality roofing installations on residential and commercial properties. We’re experienced in working with all types of roofing systems, and we fabricate our own metal wall shingles and panels.
We’ve been recognized by one of the leading shingle manufacturers, GAF, as Master Elite Contractors and have received numerous awards applauding our roofing work. Our A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau speaks to the excellent service we provide to each of our clients and the hard work we put into each and every project. Kidd Roofing is committed to getting the job done right for you.
Contact Kidd Roofing Today
If you’re in need of repairs on your roof or are considering having an asphalt shingle roof installed, you want professional, experienced roofing specialists to take care of it. At Kidd Roofing, we’re diligent and skilled at constructing and repairing roofs of all types. You can count on us to prioritize both the quality and safety of your roofing installation.
Call us today at (866) 882-7051 to speak with one of our roofing professionals about your roofing concerns or submit a service request online. We’ll help you figure out what needs to get done and get to work on your roofing needs.