FAQs About a New Roof
Posted on Saturday, January 15th, 2022 at 7:06 pm
When should I replace my roof?
Many people decide to install a new roof when significant damage occurs. However, seemingly minor issues could signify a serious problem that makes a new roof a necessity.
Multiple signs could indicate it might be time for you to replace your roof. These signs can include:
- Algae overgrowth – When algae grow on a roof, the bacteria it contains can damage the shingles.
- Curling and buckling shingles – Moisture can displace nails in the attic space and lead to loose shingles. Loose shingles can compromise its integrity and performance. It also exposes the roof to environmental elements, such as rain, resulting in leaks and moisture damage.
- Missing shingles – Shingles must stay firmly in place to protect the roof from water damage, debris, and other environmental factors. Aging roofs can result in loose and damaged shingles. Strong winds could blow the shingles away, allowing rainwater to seep into the home.
- Mold – Mold often forms in the plywood and rafter beams on the roof’s underside. Mold growth is a dangerous problem. Once mold develops, it can be a challenge to remove and control. It’s also a health hazard.
- Missing granules – Small granules make up asphalt roofing shingles. If the granules loosen, it compromises the performance of the shingles.
How often should I replace my roof?
Should I replace my roof myself to save money?
It might seem like a good idea to take it upon yourself to replace your own roof. However, it’s dangerous and can lead to many issues. If you’re not familiar with the installation process and the correct materials to use, you could end up with an ineffective roof. It could collapse or become damaged easily if it’s not constructed properly.
Replacing a roof is also dangerous. Many people hurt themselves during a DIY project of this magnitude. You could fall off the roof or suffer an injury from using sharp tools. You’re better off hiring a professional to handle your roof installation.
What should I do to prepare for my new roof?
A roof installation requires preparation. Although you’re not installing the roof yourself, there are some steps you should take before the project begins.
You should remove any loose items from your walls and shelves. Vibrations from hammering on the roof can cause objects inside your home to fall and break. It’s also a good idea to clear your driveway, so your contractor has space to work. Remove any furniture around the exterior of your home to avoid damage if a shingle or tool falls off the roof during the installation.
Should I replace the entire roof or just the shingles?
Sometimes, it’s best only to replace the shingles to improve the look and performance of a roof. You could get away with it if the rest of the structure is in good condition. However, if there are multiple problems to address, you might benefit more from replacing the entire roofing system.
What time of year should I replace my roof?
You can install a new roof whenever you want. However, you should aim for the dry season. If you replace your roof during the winter, snow and sleet could delay the process. It makes it more challenging for roofers to finish the project effectively and safely. The rainy season can bring heavy rainfall, hindering the workers’ abilities to protect your home from the wet weather.
Do I need a new roof if there’s a leak?
Not necessarily. One small leak might not be a reason to replace your entire roof. It’s possible to repair damage and prevent additional leaks in the future. However, if the damage is too severe to fix, a simple repair might not be enough to correct the problem.
How do I find the right contractor?
Looking for a contractor to install a new roof can be time-consuming. It’s not as simple as picking a name from the internet. You should do your research and choose someone who offers comprehensive services and quality materials. Some companies will scam people out of their money by overpromising and underdelivering.
You can start your search by asking around. Talk to your friends, family, and colleagues about their roofing projects and if they were happy with who they hired. You can also look at online reviews of different companies in your area. It’s vital to choose a roofing company you can trust and depend on no matter what.
Here at Kidd Roofing, we’re happy to talk with you about your roofing project, whether it’s a repair, replacement, or new construction. Call us today at (866) 671-7791 for a quote.