5 Ways to Protect Your Roof This Fall
Posted on Wednesday, September 1st, 2021 at 1:47 pm
When many people dream about buying homes, they think about the size and how much they want to love their kitchen and bathrooms. It’s easy to forget about how important the more structural aspects of a home are. Like the roof, for instance.
A home or building’s roof is important to both the stability and safety of the home. Without one, we risk damaging the contents within, including the people. A properly maintained roof can protect us and our home or business from potentially-damaging weather.
How to Protect Your Roof in the Fall
When you pull out the fall candles or warm-scented hand soaps for the bathrooms and change the brightly colored couch pillows for the autumn-colored throws, you may also want to make some changes to protect your roof. If not, you could be looking at tens of thousands of dollars in roof damage repairs.
With autumn (depending on where you live), comes more wind, more leaves, more snow, and more ice. And believe it or not, this change in weather and change in the season can negatively affect your roof. Here are several tips that you can implement to keep your roof and your home or commercial property safe:
- Clean your gutters – It’s normal for gutters to get filled with debris, from leaves to balls and litter from the street. It’s important to regularly clean the gutters of this debris. The purpose of gutters is to drain water from the home or building. When gutters can’t perform that function because they’re clogged with debris or ice in cold temperatures, that water can get backed up onto the roof. Sustained moisture on roofs can ruin the roofing materials and cause leaks into the home or building.
- Try to keep the roof off limits – Fall brings the holidays, and many people enjoy decorating the exterior of their homes during this season. While you may be tempted to climb the roof of your building or home to hang decorative lights or inflatables, take care not to allow too much foot traffic on your roof. The materials of your roof or the flashing, which is added to the roofing materials to help keep water away, can be damaged by too much activity.
- Trim your trees – After those pretty leaves change colors and fall to the ground, milder temperatures may bring stronger winds, ice, or snow. The weight of snow or ice or the weight of longer tree branches can cause those branches to break. And if those branches happen to extend over the roof of your home or building? A broken branch can lead to a damaged roof.
- Regularly clean debris – Cleaning debris from your roof is as important as cleaning debris from your gutters. When moisture collects on the debris on your roof and stays there long enough, it can start to mold. Again, sustained moisture can cause degradation of your roofing materials, which can potentially lead to roof leaks.
- Have an attic? Check that, too – It’s easy to miss potential cracks or damage to the roof that could only be seen from inside the attic. If you don’t frequent your attic from day to day, remember to inspect it.
If you discover that your roof needs repairs, it’s best to get those repairs done before autumn turns to winter.
Why Kidd Roofing Is Your Best Choice
We’ve been providing top-of-the-line roof work in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and the surrounding areas in Texas for the past four decades. We have experience installing roofs from scratch and repairing damaged roofs on both residential and commercial properties. We’re skilled in using various roofing materials to craft quality roofs that last.
Our excellent roofing work has been recognized throughout our industry. We’re certified as a Master Elite Roofing Contractor and Community Contractor by one of the leading manufacturers of shingles on the continent, GAF. Our roofing crews are continuously educated by leading roofing manufacturers, which helps ensure that we continue providing our clients with high-quality roofing service. Kidd Roofing is insured and prioritizes the safety of our roofing crews while we’re doing great work.
Call Us Today
It can’t be overstated how important a well-maintained roof is. If your roof is damaged or you need a roof installed on new construction, Kidd Roofing is here to help you with all of your roofing needs.