Cedar Park Modified Bitumen Roof Repair and Installation
An experienced roofing company like Kidd Roofing can help you make the choice that is right for you and your home. We have nearly 40 years of repairing and installing roofs under our belts. You can rest assured that, when you contact us, we can inspect your current roof and help you determine the best possible solution for your roof repair or replacement.
When you call the Cedar Park roofers of Kidd Roofing at (866) 671-7791, we’ll have a professional ready to talk to you about taking on your project. Let our experienced team help you protect your home for years to come.
What Is Modified Bitumen?
With five layers of protection, Modified Bitumen (MB) is designed to withstand exposure to harsh environmental elements. It is asphalt-based and is a close cousin of the Built-up-Roof (BUR). Its design makes it ideal for use on low slope or flat roof structures. It originated in Europe in the mid-1960s and has been in use in the United States and Canada since about 1975. With its high level of protection, it’s one of the most trusted flat roofing systems available today. This is especially true with the extreme weather often encountered in Texas.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Modified Bitumen?
Before replacing a roof, it is important to review the advantages and disadvantages of each available roofing material. Only then can you make the right decision for your home or business. Information about modified bitumen roofs that you might find helpful includes:
- UV and Heat Resistant: The reflective properties of modified bitumen make it heat reflective and, therefore, resistant to the sun’s radiation. You will reduce your energy bill even more if you choose light-colored modified bitumen.
- Seamless Connections: All three of the most popular ways to install modified bitumen (self-adhesive, cold adhesive, and with heat) create a seamless and tight connection between sheets.
- Leak Resistant: The coherent nature of this roofing system solves one of the top problems of a flat roof leakage.
- Tear Resistant: Although it is not always recommended, the reality is that a flat roof sometimes doubles as a deck. The combination of fiberglass and/or polyester reinforcement layers makes a modified bitumen roof tear-resistant. This gives it the ability to handle foot traffic well.
- Weather Resistant: In Texas, we’re used to tornadoes, hailstorms, lightning storms, and high winds. Modified bitumen is so tough that it can withstand almost all of it.
- Easy to Install and Repair: Modified bitumen is the right choice for someone who wants easy installation. The three-foot-wide sheets are rolled easily onto a roof on top of a base sheet membrane. Bitumen can also be easily repaired with patches if it does get damaged.
- Environmentally Friendly: You can reduce your carbon footprint by using modified bitumen because some of its materials can be recycled and won’t end up in the dump.
- Water Resistance: Flat roofs require a proper drainage system. If one is not in place, water is bound to collect. Unfortunately, in these instances, modified bitumen tends to wear down faster than some other flat roof types like TPO or PVC.
- Lifespan: The life expectancy of modified bitumen is roughly ten to twenty years. This makes it short-lived when compared to some of the other roofing options out there.
- Foul Odor: Although not at all permanent, there is a strong odor associated with modified bitumen that lasts for a few days after installation. Some people temporarily relocate when they get this kind of roof installed, or tough it out for a few days.
- Torch Fumes: Modified bitumen is often installed by using a blow torch. This method can release toxic fumes, which could be dangerous if inhaled.
If you are looking for a new roof that is reliable, easy to install and maintain, and has some nature-friendly attributes, then modified bitumen might be for you. The roofing experts of Kidd Roofing can help you decide which roofing material fits your needs best.
Reasons to Hire a Professional Roofer
- Safety: It goes without saying that there are some dangerous heights involved when you work on a roof. An experienced roofer knows how to navigate a roof safely.
- Time saved: When you tackle a job by yourself, it is hard to know how long it will take. Usually, people overestimate how quickly they can work. A skilled roofer can get the job done more efficiently.
- Quality Workmanship: Kidd Roofing takes pride in our work. We tend to all the details so you don’t have to.
- Cost: Like most things, doing the job right on a roof the first time will save you money later. Our mission is just that: to do it right the first time.
Why Choose Kidd Roofing?
For over four decades, we have been a premier roofing company. As members of the Home Builders Association, we’re fully insured in all of the cities we serve. We have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and have received numerous awards in the industry, including the 2020 President’s Club Award by GAF, one of the leading shingle manufacturers.
We love the communities we serve and are committed to donating our time and roofing skills to organizations like Habitat for Humanity and the Boys and Girls Club of America.
Contact Us Today
Give Kidd Roofing a call, and we can inspect your roof, determine what needs to be done, and provide an estimate. Our number is (866) 671-7791, or you can submit a service request online.